Website Southern Gulf Islands Neighbourhood House
The Southern Gulf Islands Neighborhood House (SGINH) is looking for an enthusiastic and driven Program Coordinator who will work with the Managing Director to collaboratively develop and oversee programs and recreational activities and related initiatives for Older Adults and adults aged 55+ at the Southern Gulf Islands Neighbourhood House (SGINH). These are existing programs or programs in development taking place on four of the Southern Gulf Islands including Mayne, Saturna, Galiano and Pender.
The SGINH serves individuals and families of Saturna, Galiano, Mayne, and Pender Islands by engaging their skills and talents to enhance self-sufficiency, promote well-being, and reduce poverty through innovative solutions to critical social needs to build caring sustainable communities for all residents, especially those who are most vulnerable.
We recognize that everyone’s skill set is different, and that each person is unique. If you don’t meet every single qualification that we’ve posted, we encourage you to still apply.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This role involves collaboratively developing and overseeing with direction from the Managing Director and the Seniors Advisory Committee, a wide range of recreational, educational, and social activities to meet the needs and values of seniors and older adults from our diverse community. It includes the planning, administration, supervision, and service delivery elements of the day-to-day operations for Older Adult Programs in a manner consistent with the policies and objectives of the SGINH Seniors Advisory Committee, our Board, our funders, and the needs of the community.
REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS:
• Familiarity with all four of the Southern Gulf Islands of Pender, Mayne, Galiano and Saturna.
• Be physically based on Pender Island.
• Able to commit to up to 10 hours a week working from our office at the Driftwood Centre.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills are necessary.
• Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, and excel would be ideal. Minimally functional knowledge is required.
• Flexibility, positive attitude, detail oriented with good multitasking and organizational ability.
• Collaboratively coordinates, develops, plans, and implements workshops, educational and recreational activities for seniors and older adults, and other designated programs and events for older adults as assigned.
• Maintains all appropriate records including registration, attendance, related statistics, and evaluations.
• Works closely with the Managing Director, Seniors Advisory Committee, and Executive Director to ensure the ongoing enhancement and growth of SGINH Seniors programming.
• Keeps informed on local trends, gaps, emerging and ongoing challenges and opportunities as they impact programs in the sector.
• Attends and participates in all required meetings and trainings.
• Working with the SGINH Marketing and Communications person implements community outreach and program promotion through flyers, website, social media, partner agencies, and other avenues.
• Maintains expense records in collaboration with the Executive Director.
• Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess the following desirable qualifications:
• Excellent English oral and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of issues and services related to Older Adults and Seniors.
• Demonstrated experience to work independently and collaboratively, be organized, and flexible.
• Demonstrated experience in program planning, and knowledge of seniors’ programming, trends, and practices would be ideal.
• Experience in organizing and facilitating workshops an asset.
• Ability to run a meeting virtually using Zoom an asset.
• Experience working in low-income, racialized environments an asset.
Our expectation is that you are enthusiastic, motivated, willing to learn and receive feedback.
Vulnerable Sector Check (provided by SGINH) required.
Position: Program Coordinator – Older Adults
Reports To: Managing Director
Hourly Rate: Up to $25.00/hour, approximately 10 hours a week, on-site.
Contract: January 2024 – March 31, 2024, with possibility of extension (grant dependent)
Apply: Send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com